Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Baby Birdies



Aren't they cute?

These are actually the cardinal babies from last Spring. The proud Mama and Papa built their nest in one of the shrubs that flank our front porch, and we learned so much watching them change day by day.

Then one afternoon, I was sitting by the window having lunch and I heard terrible chattering. Lo and behold, the terrible tomcat who roams through our yard (and who Renee calls the 'Mean and Ugly One') had found the nest. Mama and Papa were ticked off and letting him know about it!

Luckily, the babies were big enough at that point to make it away from the nest. Unbeknownst to us, they had started their flying lessons already. Thank goodness!

This spring we found a new nest, and inside are the most beautiful eggs you've ever seen.

Being very clever, Mom and Dad built it on the other side of the porch. I guess they figured it was time for an upgrade.

Oh, and they took that quite literally, as the nest was built much higher in the shrub. Good for the birds, bad for me. It really messed with my springtime pruning plans-LOL!

All that extra greenery also makes it hard to get a good photograph of the nest. Sometime soon, I'll see if I can manage one without disturbing them too much.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tink *~*~* said...

hmm, maybe we need to get you a fiber optic camera - you can lower the lens into the bushes like it was spaghetti or fishing line and not disturb the parents at all! :D

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*